Walk Mill Cottage, Broughton Mills, Broughton-in-Furness, Cumbria: House History
Walk Mill Cottage forms part of a group of buildings on the southern side of Broughton Mills, near Broughton-in-Furness. The early history of Broughton Mills is uncertain but it is likely to be closely linked to that of Broughton-in-Furness, which is certainly at least medieval. Walk Mill was most likely originally the site of a fulling mill where cloth was processed although the date that this might have operated is unknown. The first record of the settlement at Walk Mill is from 1677, and it is recorded in the parish registers from this date until the early 19th century, although typically the majority of records do not distinguish between the various properties at the site. By this time it was occupied by one or more families of shoemakers or cloggers, who remained at the property until at least the early 20th century. It was subsequently utilised by the local miller and seems to have been associated with the local pub, the Blacksmith’s Arms.