36 The Gill, Ulverston, Cumbria: House History
36 The Gill is Grade II listed and was built in 1825 as one of a pair of semi-detached buildings. The houses were built for John Robinson and were part of a larger portfolio of properties he owned in Ulverston. Nos. 36 and 37 The Gill apparently replaced an earlier building on the site that was built in the mid-18th century. Up until the turn of the 20th century the house was owned and occupied by several local families such as the Woodburns and the Robinsons. The existing deeds show the ownership of the land since 1732 and the existence of property on the site is first mentioned in 1797. Until the 1841 census it is not known whether the owners were in residence, but sometime after this time and before the 1881 census the property had tenants. Initially the property was much larger than it is today and comprised gardens and outbuildings but over time parcels of the land and buildings were sold off. The last piece of property sold was the stable, in 1979.