Gascow Farm, Priory Road, Ulverston, Cumbria: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Geophysical Survey
As part of pre-planning consultation for a proposed residential development on land at Gascow Farm, Priory Road, Ulverston, a desk-based assessment and a geophysical survey was carried out.
The site comprises 11.6 hectares on the south edge of Ulverston, a short distance to the north-west of Conishead Priory. The history of the site is dominated by that of Conishead Priory, which was founded as a hospital and developed into a priory during the 12th century. The site was part of the Conishead Priory estate and available maps show that the area comprised fields and woodland from at least 1822.
The archaeological potential of seven sites which may be affected by the proposed development is assessed, although the significance of some of these sites is unknown because the period to which they belong is uncertain. Of particular interest are a north-west/south-east aligned linear earthwork (Site 4) to the east side of the site at the north end and a possible prehistoric mound (Site 7), which is still present as an earthwork.
The geophysical survey revealed large numbers of isolated anomalies and other linear trends, some of which may be of archaeological interest, as well as large areas of disturbance resulting from quarrying, although these would require further archaeological investigation to determine their character, date, and extent, and it is notable that the two earthwork structures known within the study area, Site 4 and Site 7, were not picked up particularly well by the geophysical survey.
The full report will be made available on the Archaeology Data Service website.