Raising House, Leece, Cumbria: House History
The core of the building was constructed as a double pile house: essentially square in plan, two rooms deep, and two rooms wide. This type of building typically dates to the 18th century and it is likely that the datestone of 1754 relates to the construction of this part. Internally there are a number of things that fit with an early to mid-18th century date. Material was clearly reused in the construction of the present building, with other pieces of timber evident elsewhere including the piece with 17th century dates carved into it under the stairs. The presence of the same initials as the 1754 datestone suggests the same family and that the timber is likely to have come from an earlier building on the same site. The reuse of material in vernacular buildings is a well-known phenomenon, and was particularly prevalent in Cumbria. The range of original elements that has survived, in particular the panelled walls and doors, is remarkable.